Saturday, June 29, 2013

Start of a Job Interview:

More than 80% interviews start with a seemingly simple question-

“Tell me about yourself?”

In my experience most of the people just start talking about their family history, educational details or give a recap of their life story.
Is this the real expectation??? Well “NO”

Most of the times students start fumbling at this question giving an indication to the interviewer of their lack of confidence.

Answer to this question could make or break an Interview and can have a huge impact on potential accept or reject.

Every interview question has a specific aim and this simple question has as well. This question is an opportunity to showcase that how well you fit with the job you are being interviewed for. The onus to prove the fit is with the candidate and this question is a wonderful opportunity to do that.

The answer to this question should be pre planned, concise and personalized. I have seen students answering this question with the generic statements like:

“I am hard working …………..”
“I am honest……………”
“I am emotional………”
“I am patient and calm……..”

To be clear these are neutral statements and there is no harm and no benefit done with these statements. But you have wasted the opportunity and time to sell yourself. Most interviewers may form a form an impression of your personality and skills with an answer to this question and in the subsequent interview re enforce their judgment formed about you.

In my next post I will address how to frame an answer to this question…………..

Er. Gurdip Singh (MBA)
For interviewing skills/resume guidance: gurdip@campusguru.org 
For international education guidance: gurdip@succoredu.com
Twitter: gur_sin

No comments:

Post a Comment